20 Ways to Get Fit In A Week
It may not always be feasible to hit the gym when we plan but there are plenty of other ways to keep in shape. Fitness expert Rick Hays tells us how
Whether you’re looking to challenge that plateau or trying to work a fitness regime into your day-to-day life, there’s a host of opportunities waiting on your doorstep that can help you shape up in no time. While nutritionplays a vital role in the weight loss quest, you can boost your results by adding in an effective fitness component, no matter how small. Trying something different from your usual routine will shock the body into using different muscles at different intensities and achieving significant results in return, even in a week.
When getting to that exercise class just isn’t going to fit into your diary, try one of these activities instead. Make sure tha
1. Stretching is an important element of exercise that many simply ignore. Stretching before exercise can prepare the body for the stress about to come and also help prevent injury after you finish.
3. Spice up your life. Add thermogenic spices such as turmeric, ginger, chilli or cayenne to your cooking or herbal teas. These spices help to promote thermogenesis and fat metabolism and should speed up any weight loss results.
6. Deliberate inconvenience. Making life less convenient will provide you with natural exercise and fat-burning activities. Try parking the car away from the shops and walking or cycling to work.
7. Cycling is a great way to exercise, burn fat, tone muscles, and work the heart. Plus it can get you off the sofa and into the great outdoors with the whole family, and get a workout at the same time.
8. Use shopping bags like hand weights. Although you may feel a little silly, this is perfect for the biceps and doing a few ‘reps’ with them can help lose those bingo wings.
9. Housework. Normally considered a chore, but with the right mindset it will also raise your heart rate, help with flexibility and give you a nice sense of achievement.
10. Try yoga as it improves flexibility, balance, mobility, stamina and strength as well as increasing cardiovascular performance. An inability to lose weight may stem from stress issues and lack of sleep. Yoga may ease this and promote a better sleeping pattern.
11. Play sport (especially high intensity activities such as squash or tennis). Group sports can be motivating and provide a sense of belonging to a team, in turn providing an extra sense of achievement and motivating you to go further and expand your fitness goals
12. Get a gym buddy for extra motivation. Working out with someone means you are less likely to cancel on your fitness routine. It also makes it more of a social occasion, therefore more enjoyable.
14. Get in the garden. Gardening, especially digging, uses your muscles in a different way, proving you don’t need to go to the gym to get fit and lose weight.
15. Drink dandelion tea. This is a liver tonic and will eliminate excess fluid, helping the body to burn fat and to reduce bloating. One to two cups per day should do it.
17. Use the stairs. Step up wherever possible, either at home, at work or out shopping. If you want a great looking butt then this is the key.
20. Try high frequency vibration training to help with toning and definition. You don’t need to use this type of training every day; often results can be achieved in as little as five minutes per day due to the intense nature of the muscle activation.